Managing Information Requests for Complaints

After entering a complaint, you have the option of creating an Information Request (IR) asking for the company to provide your agency with the documentation necessary to resolve the complaint.

Note: Users with the Complaint Supervisor and Complaint Manager roles can add information requests. See SES Agency System Roles & Consumer Complaints Roles for more information.
Note: The agency POC and users with the Complaint Manager role can send information requests to the subject of a complaint.
Figure 1. Video: Creating and Sending Complaint Information Requests